Join us at the 27th AAJA National Convention!
Whether you are new to the field, still in school or a media industry veteran, the convention is a can’t-miss event for media professionals and future journalists looking to network and grow in their careers. The four-day convention includes plenary sessions, panel workshops, seminars and other activities with interactive discussions about industry and community issues. The convention’s Career Fair & Expo features top news and media companies, universities and journalism industry services, along with organizations and companies eager to expose their brands to AAJA’s network of talented journalists, students and media professionals.
The 2017 National Convention will culminate with the AAJA Gala Scholarship & Awards Banquet on Saturday, July 29. AAJA student scholarship recipients will be honored, and national journalism and special awards will be presented to recognize excellence in journalism.
Convention Registration Rates
|Early Bird Registration||Pre-Registration||Regular Registration||Onsite Registration|
|Deadlines||April 19, 2017||June 30, 2017||July 19, 2017||July 26-28, 2017|
|Thursday, July 27||$275||$275||$275||$300|
|Friday, July 28||$275||$275||$275||$300|
- Very recently renewed members may not be able to view the discounted member rates for convention. If you are attempting to register for the convention within 2 business days after renewing your AAJA membership, you may not see the options to register at the member-rate. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or wait 2 business days to register.
- Once you submit payment for your registration rate fee, you may not be immediately directed to a confirmation page. Please wait to receive a confirmation email of your registration payment, and do not attempt to submit payment a second time. Please contact email@example.com if you experience issues.
- The last day to register online for the convention will be July 19, 2017. After this date, registration will only be available on-site beginning July 26.
Paper registration forms are no longer available. If you are unable to register online, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
To take advantage of discounted member rates, join AAJA as a new member or renew your lapsed membership. Non-members are welcome to register at standard convention rates.
Click here to register for the 2017 AAJA National Convention. The deadline to register online is Wednesday, July 19.
- Loews Philadelphia Hotel is the official host hotel for the 2017 AAJA National Convention. AAJA’s group rate is $169 per night (Wednesday, July 26 – Saturday, July 29) for single and double rooms. The deadline to book with the AAJA group rate is Thursday, July 6. Beginning July 7, rooms will be based on availability and prices will return to prevailing rates. Find out complete hotel details and book your room early!
- Be advised that AAJA will hold its 2017 Annual Convention room block only at Loews Philadelphia Hotel. No other housing organization is associated with our conference or the room block. Loews will NEVER call you to make a reservation, and they will not offer any rates different than what has been communicated on our site.
Sponsorship and Expo Hall
AAJA is happy to work with your company or organization on sponsoring the 2017 AAJA National Convention. Click here to learn more about sponsorship opportunities.
Is your organization interested in connecting with hundreds of top-tier journalists and media professionals? Click here to learn more about how your organization can purchase a booth at our 2017 Career Fair & Expo Hall.
- Are you interested only in attending our AAJA Gala Scholarship & Awards Banquet? You may purchase a stand-alone ticket to the gala for $100.
- Are you interested in only attending one day at convention? Single day passes are available for Thursday, July 27 and Friday, July 28 at $275 per day (when registering online by July 19). Select the day you wish to attend when completing the convention registration process.
- Connect with us. Follow @aaja for convention updates on Twitter and use #AAJA17. Email email@example.com with questions.
CANCELLATIONS AND REFUNDS
All requests must be submitted in writing to the AAJA National Office and received (not postmarked) by June 30, 2017. Include your name, address, cell phone number, and email address in the request. Send your cancellation request to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to 415-346-6343. A $50 administrative fee will be deducted. The refund will be issued to the original form of payment. No refund requests will be honored after 4 P.M. PST on June 30, 2017. THERE WILL BE NO EXCEPTIONS.
Transferring convention registration is prohibited without authorization from the AAJA National Office. All requests must be submitted in writing by the current registrant no later than July 19, 2016. A $25 administrative fee will be required for transfer requests. NO EXCEPTIONS. The request must include the following:
- $25 transfer fee
- Name and signature of the original registrant
- Name, title and company/institution, e-mail address and cell phone number of the person receiving the transferred registration
AAJA reserves the right to deny registration and sponsorship, to any individual or company, that may result in a conflict of interest for our organization or does not adhere to AAJA’s code of conduct. See more information about the code of conduct below.
Code of Conduct
AAJA believes that our events should be open to all members and AAJA guests. We’re committed to providing a friendly, safe and welcoming environment for all, regardless of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, ethnicity or religion.
This code of conduct outlines our expectations for attendees' behavior at AAJA national and local events as well as the consequences of unacceptable behavior. We expect all participants (speakers, attendees, staff and other guests) to abide by this code of conduct at all event venues and event-related social functions.
First and foremost, treat everyone with respect. Participate while acknowledging that everyone deserves respectful treatment, and that every participant has the right to enjoy their experience at AAJA without fear of harassment or discrimination.
• Be considerate, respectful and collaborative.
• Refrain from demeaning, discriminatory, or harassing behavior and speech.
• Immediately inform AAJA’s executive director or the president in person, by phone or e-mail if you experience a distressful situation.
• Many AAJA events are shared with the public; please be respectful to all patrons of these locations.
Unacceptable behavior includes, but is not limited to: intimidating, threatening, harassing, abusive, discriminatory, derogatory, demeaning or disorderly conduct, or possession, use, or distribution of any illegal substances. AAJA does not tolerate the use or abuse of illegal substances at any of the venues where AAJA events are held. Harassing conduct can take many forms and may include, but is not limited to, the following: slurs, offensive jokes, statements, gestures, photographs, drawings, cartoons or pictures, assault, impeding or blocking another's movement or otherwise physically interfering with activities, conducting unwanted audio or visual recordings, violating someone's “personal space,” engaging in leering, stalking, staring, intimidating or threatening behavior, or making offensive communications such as in the form of emails, telephone calls, voicemails, text messages or social media.
Sexually harassing conduct in particular may include all of these prohibited actions, as well as other unwelcome conduct, such as requests for sexual favors, conversation containing sexual comments, physical contact, lewd or offensive behavior or language, and other unwelcome sexual advances. Sexually harassing conduct can be by a person of either the same or opposite sex.
AAJA reserves the right in its sole discretion to determine what constitutes unacceptable behavior.
Consequences of Unacceptable Behavior
Unacceptable behavior will not be tolerated whether by other attendees, media, speakers, or venue staff. Anyone asked to stop engaging in unacceptable behavior is expected to comply immediately.
If a participant engages in unacceptable behavior, AAJA may take any action we deem appropriate, up to and including immediate expulsion without warning from the event and without refund of any registration or other fees, and revocation of your membership in AAJA.
This code of conduct applies to all participants at all AAJA events, including chapter events. Any concerns should be reported to the local chapter president and/or national staff or president. Please immediately notify security staff and/or AAJA executive director or president as soon as possible, in person, by phone or e-mail.
What to Do If You Witness or Are Subject to Unacceptable Behavior
Speak up! Harassment will not be tolerated at AAJA.
If you are subject to unacceptable behavior, notice that someone else is being subject to unacceptable behavior, or have any other concerns, please immediately notify security staff and/or AAJA executive director or president as soon as possible, in person, by phone or e-mail. Please also notify appropriate law enforcement if necessary.
AAJA will be available to help participants contact venue security or local law enforcement, to provide escorts, or to otherwise assist those experiencing unacceptable behavior to feel safe for the duration of the event.